How hard is reveal popcenter?

Hi everyone,

Just curious about people’s success rates with the Reveal Popcenter spell? Just a reminder, even if you successfully cast the spell, there is a second roll against your mage rank, as I understand it, to see if you actually reveal the popcenter. My question is about that second roll.

Have people had any success revealing popcenters with an M50? M60? What are the chances?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Second roll is vs natural mage rank. 70’s have reasonable success rates, but have failed 3 times in a row with one. Never bother with anything lower.

Mage rank or cast rank?

I would think the mage rank is irrelevant. It’s all about the cast rank, right?
Even a 60-70 mage will only get the spell with 50 or less cast rank. It’s very hard. Slap a +30 mage arty on him and you should have success.

Brad, belated thanks!

Scott, the second roll is against natural mage rank, mage artifacts only help with the initial roll to see if you successfully cast the spell, but not against the second roll to see if the place is actually revealed.

In Kinstrife, there are artefacts that have reveal pop centre as a secondary effect. As far as I can tell, they work 100% of the time even if used by a character with no mage skill. I’ve used them only a couple of times.

If a trinket’s sundry power is to Reveal…it reveals. Otherwise, the net mage rank determines if the spell successfully “reveals” that there, in fact, is a Pop Center in the hex.

The second “roll” is against the natural mage rank to determine if the enchantment is removed. Then the PC is on the map and can be…interacted with…

Same thing as 525. 1) Do I reduce loyalty? 2nd Role - do I convert the PC to join my nation.

These are the only “double roll” orders that I am aware off. Are there more?

Brad

Well that’s new for me. Thanks Brad - much appreciated.

Glad I chimed in on this 2 year old post.

Thought it might be worth putting some of my recent results with trying to learn Reveal Pop Centre in a KS game:

This is all in the first 10 turns and represents every attempt I made:

M60 failed to learn 434
M62 failed to learn 434
M64 learned 434 (at 38 which is bleedin’ useless!)
M66 failed to learn 434
M69 failed to learn 434
M71 learned 434 (at 44!)
M66(116) learned 434 (at 36!)

So it seems insanely hard - especially to get it at a decent casting percentage.

Rob P

They don’t always work. Which i found very disappointing. It did say there was a pop centre in the hex but didn’t reveal.

Sorry about that. I should have clarified when I learned more about it. It seems the spell works every time but the pop centre is only revealed if the character passes the second test based on his mage rank.

Further update. The spell does work every time but apparently, the pop centre is only revealed if the character passes the second test based on some random dice roll, not dependent on the character’s mage rank.

What makes you think it is a random die roll.

I’m pretty sure it is based on the mage rank, but that goes back to a memory of having been told that by GSI.

Jeremy

Jeremy is correct, the second check is based on mage rank. I have an M-78 who is 3 for 3 on RPC. I don’t even bother to try with rank less than 70 given past results.

I’ve been told this by someone in another game I am playing. He told me that he has used an artefact to reveal a pop centre with a character who had no mage rank.

The first time I used one of these artefacts the character who revealed the pop centre had a low mage rank. Can’t remember exactly but it might have been less than 30. This was what led me to think these artefacts worked automatically.