New game variant - Military only

I’ve been involved in discussions in several of my games about putting together a military-only game. There’s a small group of us who’d like to try it, so I figured I’d open the discussion here. The rules we’ve put together so far are below, and aren’t yet set in stone. Quik-crete, maybe, but not stone. There’s still room to modify. Explanations will be in italics.

1. FA1000 nation creation rules as normal, except:
  • All nations required to be human. Otherwise the FP have a huge advantage with Dwarves, and DS are screwed with Non-humans.
  • The +10 Command race bonus can be placed on a character with previous command skill. To off-set the neutral race-bonus advantage.
  1. Agents:
  • Order 615, 620, and 690 are totally off-limits.
  • All hostage orders (625, 630, 635, 640, 645, 650, 655, and 660) are permitted, for use with any hostages taken in Army or Navy battles
  • All other agent orders function as normal.
  1. Emmissaries:
  • Order 525 is totally off-limits.
  1. Mages:
  • Spirit Mastery spells (502, 504, and 506) are totally off-limits.
  1. Hex locations:
  • To prevent the possibility of unassailable capitals, the hexes 4215, 3329, and 2430, while not totally off-limits, are restricted to pop centers of size no greater than Town.

Other ideas that have been kicked around include:

• Should we make this an all-neutral free-for-all game? If so, all artifacts will be set to neutral to avoid “unusable artifacts”. If we do this, my understanding of the game mechanics is that the Kingdoms will have to be NPC nations (one FP, one DS) so that the game will run.

• If we can’t get enough players to fill a game, even with multi-nation players, we can restrict the map to (number of nations+3) regions, and make the rest of the map (probably the north or northwest) a no-go zone.

I would be interested.
I sent you a message in the forums with my e-mail.

It’s likely I’ll go with a limited nation set-up to test this out as there are have been LAS (Limited Assassination Scenario) and so on before. very much a military game! Might be fun.

Clint, I sent you a list of the players who have emailed me with an interest in this game. Perhaps you could send out a mass email advertising to all players, or put a notice in the turn result GM messages?

Okay I’ve gt in touch with these players and some have responded. Any other interest out there? Chance to try some unusual tactics I think.

Okay we’re 20(22 one player dithering) out of 25 filled on this, and it’s a variant so if you want to try something different in FAS here’s your chance. Upto 2 nations (if you’re up for it get back to me with how many nations, allegiances and regions please).

1. FA1000 nation creation rules as normal, except:
  • All nations required to be human.
  • The +10 Command race bonus can be placed on a character with previous command skill.
  1. Agents:
  • Order 615, 620, and 690 are totally off-limits.
  • All hostage orders (625, 630, 635, 640, 645, 650, 655, and 660) are permitted, for use with any hostages taken in Army or Navy battles.
  • All other agent orders function as normal.
  1. Emmissaries:
  • Order 525 is totally off-limits.
  1. Mages:
  • Spirit Mastery spells (502, 504, and 506) are totally off-limits. Any character gaining that spell won’t be able to use it (it won’t get replaced!)
  1. Hex locations:
  • To prevent the possibility of unassailable capitals, the hexes 4215, 3329, and 2430, while not totally off-limits, are restricted to pop centers of size no greater than Town.

Clint

Okay 24/25 now so very close. You won’t get the chance to play this format again in a LONG time guys

Okay 1 nation needed, not going to have the Kingdoms as they’ll be relatively too strong.

Clint

So a mad scramble to gobble up all the Kingdom starting pop centers, or will they all just be gone?

Will that allow nations that start next to the kingdoms to possibly start with pop centers in what would have been the kingdom starting area, like Umbar could actually start with the capital in the city of Umbar?

No I won’t change the regional allocation and I think that I will be allowing the Kingdoms in as I’ve got 24/25 and a wavering player atm.

Clint